Happy New Year! New York had some snow, so I figured it would be a good day to make some pickles. This was the first time I’ve made dill pickles, so I figured I would experiment a bit. I jarred half of the pickles and the other half were set in the fridge.
First off, I picked up a bunch of small pickling cucumbers. I washed them, and cut off the flower end. Apparently there are enzymes in the flower ends that soften the pickles. So I chopped those off.
I steralized by jars in boiling water, and got my brine ingredients together for the brine. Kosher Salt (no iodine), pickeling spice, and vinegar. I set the brine on the stove and boiled it for five minutes. Then I let it cool completely.
I added the fresh dill, bay leaves, a clove of garlic, red pepper flakes, and pickling spice to the jars.
I then added the cut cucumbers. I decided not to slice or quarter them. I assume they will stay crispier this way, but I really don’t know until they are ready to eat.
Once the brine cooled completely, I ladeled the brine into the jars. I cleaned the rims, and put the lids on. I boiled half of the jars, to shelf stabilize them. The other half went right in the fridge. Now it is time to wait. The shelved pickles need a few weeks, and the fridge dills need just a few days.
One day later, I can already see the shelf cucumbers looking like pickles. The ones in the fridge, still look more like cukes. I guess all I can do is just wait and see.